Am I the first to admit that I’m chasing the dream?

Am I the first to admit that I’m chasing the dream?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:31 pm

I’m not going crazy and having my kid practice all summer or do extra clinics 5 days a week but he plays a few spring tournaments, trains as much as he can and I push him to be the best he can be.
He wants it, and I’m trying to give him the opportunity to at least give it his all!
3 x

Re: Am I the first to admit that I’m chasing the dream?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Guest wrote:I’m not going crazy and having my kid practice all summer or do extra clinics 5 days a week but he plays a few spring tournaments, trains as much as he can and I push him to be the best he can be.
He wants it, and I’m trying to give him the opportunity to at least give it his all!

He should quit now. Get a job at Tim Horton’s to teach him a work ethic. Forget all that school stuff as well, it will just get you in debt.
1 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:39 pm

I say go for it.

I wish you were my dad for when I was growing up.
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 pm

If your kid is an athlete, I say go for it.

Tell me. If you put him in, say soccer, golf or baseball and trained him to the same extent alongside with his desire for that sport being the same, do you think he would have a shot too?

Start with your kid being a gifted athlete... sounds like you know where this is heading already
4 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 pm

Guest wrote:I’m not going crazy and having my kid practice all summer or do extra clinics 5 days a week but he plays a few spring tournaments, trains as much as he can and I push him to be the best he can be.

I hate when people say my son isn't going to the NHL. Not with that attitude - somebody's going to go, may as well be you. If not, you built a lot of character trying.
7 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:33 pm

Guest wrote:

I hate when people say my son isn't going to the NHL. Not with that attitude - somebody's going to go, may as well be you. If not, you built a lot of character trying.

One step at a time boys. A main contributor on a top club opens door number 2, and so on and so forth. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but don’t miss the journey. Regardless of where it ends the journey is the good part
8 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 pm

The dream you're chasing is about as alive as Tom Petty. Have you ever sat down and done the math?
Even if your kid was the absolute knock out best player of all age levels in your hometown organisation, that would still put him at best as one of a thousand hometown best kids in Canada (1/1000) . and that is only if he is the absolute best in your town at any age.
Now add in the US .. it's bot just Canada's game anymore. Add say 2,000 more minor hockey towns.
Ahhh .. then there's Europe .. Sweden, Finland, Russia etc ... add about 5,000 more.
So now, even if your kid is the hands down best in your town, he's got to compete with about 10,000 other best in towns.
Now, how many new jobs do you suppose open for new players each season?
If each team played 3 new rookies per season, which is generous, that still only adds up to less than 100 jobs.
So, less than 100 jobs available to the best 10,000 kids in the world basically, and that is even IF your kid is in that first group, which it sounds like he is NOT.
Sweet dreams baby.
1 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 am

Of course do whatever is best for your kid. Hockey is by far the most expensive of all the sports. And hockey parents are by far the most delusional of all sports. And the best athletes don't even play hockey because they can't afford it.
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 am

you are crazy! Sounds like he's not older than 7. By 9 or 10, they don't want to do clinics 5 days a week, they want to enjoy using the skills they've developed doing all that training, having fun. By 12, you don't need to push them to be the best, they've learned to develop this drive internally or they haven't and you pushing him is just pissing him off - that's gonna backfire soon. By 14, there's no point doing all the spring tourneys, and he'd be better off with some off ice work. So yeah, your 7 yr old is just doing what you've convinced him he wants. Lots of time for you to come across crazy talented kids that will force you to reassess. Note: there's a kid that's gonna be better than him by far, that will just start learning to skate in 3 years. Maybe your kid will still be playing for you to see this, but from what you said, unlikely.
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:48 am

Sounds like a recipe for future burnout. Easy there, its a marathon, not a sprint!
1 x

Google

This Am I the first to admit that I’m chasing the dream? Topic is Sponsored by:

Postby Google » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:48 am

1 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 am

Talent × Effort = Skill
Skill x Effort = Achievement
1 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:13 am

Guest wrote:

you are crazy! Sounds like he's not older than 7. By 9 or 10, they don't want to do clinics 5 days a week, they want to enjoy using the skills they've developed doing all that training, having fun. By 12, you don't need to push them to be the best, they've learned to develop this drive internally or they haven't and you pushing him is just pissing him off - that's gonna backfire soon. By 14, there's no point doing all the spring tourneys, and he'd be better off with some off ice work. So yeah, your 7 yr old is just doing what you've convinced him he wants. Lots of time for you to come across crazy talented kids that will force you to reassess. Note: there's a kid that's gonna be better than him by far, that will just start learning to skate in 3 years. Maybe your kid will still be playing for you to see this, but from what you said, unlikely.

Can you please explain what made you think my son is not older than 7?
My kid doesn’t do the extras, plays a couple Spring tourneys and trains on his own.
Lots of positive responses on here but you obviously have difficulty with reading.
1 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 am

Guest wrote:The dream you're chasing is about as alive as Tom Petty. Have you ever sat down and done the math?
Even if your kid was the absolute knock out best player of all age levels in your hometown organisation, that would still put him at best as one of a thousand hometown best kids in Canada (1/1000) . and that is only if he is the absolute best in your town at any age.
Now add in the US .. it's bot just Canada's game anymore. Add say 2,000 more minor hockey towns.
Ahhh .. then there's Europe .. Sweden, Finland, Russia etc ... add about 5,000 more.
So now, even if your kid is the hands down best in your town, he's got to compete with about 10,000 other best in towns.
If each team played 3 new rookies per season, which is generous, that still only adds up to less than 100 jobs.
So, less than 100 jobs available to the best 10,000 kids in the world basically, and that is even IF your kid is in that first group, which it sounds like he is NOT.
Sweet dreams baby.

“So you’re saying there’s a chance?!”
1 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:41 am

There is nothing wrong with having a dream and chasing it. As long as your son/daughter has the drive, then why not have fun trying. The important thing here is to ensure your child as a good education to fall back on. If they make it "Great", if not, that's ok too as you both had fun trying. Make nice memories that will last a life time!
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:40 am

I agree 100%.
Kids need to follow their dreams.
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:30 am

Another dead end argument here on MHT.

One side, go for it, the other side, stats say chances are slim to none, don't waste your time.

My take, to each his own, don't let others decide what is right for you or your kid. Without knowing the kid or the situation I don't think anyone has the right to judge. No matter what you do in any aspect of life there will always be people for you and against you.

The guys that did make it to the show were people telling them the same thing when they played minor hockey? Likely yes.
2 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 am

My child dreams of being an NHL player too - odds are clear it's very very unlikely it will happen - but it's his dream - so I will happily do what I can where I can to support him and let him try to live out his dream, I don't care about the money or the time, money comes and goes and you can't take it with you, the time I am more than happy to donate my time to get him to where he needs to be - time well spent - better than laying on the couch or him sitting on an IPAD.

People dream of winning the lottery - should they stop buying lottery tickets cause it's stupid?

do as you wish - never, ever worry about others opinions of you.
The only opinions of me I care about are from my parents, my spouse, and my kids, the rest are meaningless.

Enjoy
7 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:18 am

Guest wrote:The dream you're chasing is about as alive as Tom Petty. Have you ever sat down and done the math?
Sweet dreams baby.

This is the post every letter chasing parent should read. You nailed it. You gotta be realistic about your kid. If your kid is the 4th top scorer on a second rate Atom AAA team in the Alliance and you're 5'7" and your lovely bride is 5 foot nothing and your son is slow but smart, ok hands but shies away from physical play....he is not playing NHL, AHL, NCAA, CIS, Europe or Junior A, B, C. The best he can hope for is men's league after M.M or maybe high school if the team sucks. That's the reality.
0 x

Return to “2005 and Younger”