From NYHL to GTHL

From NYHL to GTHL

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm

I have a kid playing novice in NYHL. Just wondering for those who transferred to GTHL in minor atom, what the next steps are? I assume you should contact prospective coaches early like in November? Any advice from parents or coaches about this?
0 x

Re: From NYHL to GTHL

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Guest wrote:I have a kid playing novice in NYHL. Just wondering for those who transferred to GTHL in minor atom, what the next steps are? I assume you should contact prospective coaches early like in November? Any advice from parents or coaches about this?

Brace yourself for the drama!
5 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Guest wrote:I have a kid playing novice in NYHL. Just wondering for those who transferred to GTHL in minor atom, what the next steps are? I assume you should contact prospective coaches early like in November? Any advice from parents or coaches about this?

the G isnt for house league.
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:40 pm

OP here, I know GTHL is rep AAA/AA/A. In general I assume that the Tier 1 NYHL Novices graduate to GTHL AAA minor atom? How about the other Tiers?
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Guest wrote:OP here, I know GTHL is rep AAA/AA/A. In general I assume that the Tier 1 NYHL Novices graduate to GTHL AAA minor atom? How about the other Tiers?

Tier 1 essentially feeds AAA, Tier 2 teams usually translate to AA and lower Tier 2 plus Tier 3,4,5 and 6 make up A.
1 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Contact the coaches as soon as possible. Teams are formed early. If there are some teams you're looking at, get on the coaches radar quick.
1 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:15 pm

The scouts should come looking for you. If your kid is any good.
1 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:OP here, I know GTHL is rep AAA/AA/A. In general I assume that the Tier 1 NYHL Novices graduate to GTHL AAA minor atom? How about the other Tiers?

Tier 1 essentially feeds AAA, Tier 2 teams usually translate to AA and lower Tier 2 plus Tier 3,4,5 and 6 make up A.

Not true. Many Tier 1 teams form strong AA cores. Same with T2.
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:48 pm

My strong advice as a dad that has been through this before...
Is to go through the GTHL standings and look at the teams that are always in the top 3 or 4...you'll find some consistency.

Then start to contact head coaches early and get on their radar. I think you will find them receptive.

Then it is up to you to find a coaching and organizational fit.

Hope this helps.
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:23 am

When are the minor atom coaches selected and finalized for GTHL 2019-2020 season?
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:36 am

Check with your don'd current NYHL Select team first as most organization have teams in GTHL also i.e. NT, YM, etc. Most Select teams have looked into moving into GTHL already. Your son's coach may have looked into moving the current team to GTHL A,AA or AAA. It is too early to contact coaches now but by NOV DEC you should start speaking to your son's current coach and then proceed with other coaches if you are not happy with what the current coach is doing.

My son played in Tier 2 with NT as novice and by December the coach approached us and said he was taking most of the team to GTHL NT AA asked if we want to go with him. We liked the coach and went with him in GTHL NT AA. Some other kids were not asked to come with the team thus their parents approached other tier 2 teams and found spots on YM, NYK etc.
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am

Most top tier novice nyhl teams will be planning to move the core of their team to gthl. The coach will probably start organizing in dec/jan. You'll know immediately if your kid is in because they'll ask you to commit. If this doesn't happen then yes, start calling around. Especially if your on a top tier team because even tier 4 and 5 teams can end up in A. I've had 3 boys go through this. 2 of them followed their nyhl teams to AA. My older boy started hockey in grade 5 and now plays AAA. There are extra skills skates you can go to most weekends through the season and lots of coaches and instructors are there. They can guide you. Call the gthl team and ask if you can attend one or two. They usually cost $20 to $30. My older boy started HL in grade 5 and a rep at our club told me about the skills skates. Right after the 1st skate a coach came to me and asked if he was interested in rep.
1 x

Google

This From NYHL to GTHL Topic is Sponsored by:

Postby Google » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am

1 x

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:42 am

Guest wrote:Most top tier novice nyhl teams will be planning to move the core of their team to gthl. The coach will probably start organizing in dec/jan. You'll know immediately if your kid is in because they'll ask you to commit. If this doesn't happen then yes, start calling around. Especially if your on a top tier team because even tier 4 and 5 teams can end up in A. I've had 3 boys go through this. 2 of them followed their nyhl teams to AA. My older boy started hockey in grade 5 and now plays AAA. There are extra skills skates you can go to most weekends through the season and lots of coaches and instructors are there. They can guide you. Call the gthl team and ask if you can attend one or two. They usually cost $20 to $30. My older boy started HL in grade 5 and a rep at our club told me about the skills skates. Right after the 1st skate a coach came to me and asked if he was interested in rep.

At what rep level did he start?
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:14 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Most top tier novice nyhl teams will be planning to move the core of their team to gthl. The coach will probably start organizing in dec/jan. You'll know immediately if your kid is in because they'll ask you to commit. If this doesn't happen then yes, start calling around. Especially if your on a top tier team because even tier 4 and 5 teams can end up in A. I've had 3 boys go through this. 2 of them followed their nyhl teams to AA. My older boy started hockey in grade 5 and now plays AAA. There are extra skills skates you can go to most weekends through the season and lots of coaches and instructors are there. They can guide you. Call the gthl team and ask if you can attend one or two. They usually cost $20 to $30. My older boy started HL in grade 5 and a rep at our club told me about the skills skates. Right after the 1st skate a coach came to me and asked if he was interested in rep.

At what rep level did he start?

why do you ask?
0 x