Stick length

Stick length

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:26 pm

OK, we have just picked up a new stick for my son, and we are having the usual debate between him and I about how long to cut it. He is a D and wants it nose length, I am trying to convince him to go shorter.

You see a lot of websites and old-timers that are pretty adamant that sticks should be cut to collar-bone length (or to lower lip out of skates), but most of the kids I see have sticks that are to their upper lip in-skates, and when I google pictures of NHL players on GettyImages, the pictures where they are actually holding the stick straight up-and down and not at an angle, they are almost always have sticks that are cut to the bridge of the nose or higher, out-of-skates. That would be lip length, or at the very list chin-length, in skates.

Anyone whose kid is using an old-school collar bone length stick? How about D in particular?
0 x

Re: Stick length

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:01 pm

One of my kids is a D going into MM this year. From about MP on he wanted his stick longer so goes more for bridge of his nose. It was a bit of an adjustment for him initially but defensively especially with things like poke checks it is a big advantage once they get used to the extra length. It is an adjustment though so need to be prepared for that.
2 x

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm

My kid is Minor Bantam AAA Def. He has always preferred the longer Stick. It’s between his nose and mouth while on skates. It helps close the gap and also give a big clapper!
2 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:35 am

Ive learned that the shorter the stick the better it is for puck control and stick handing and the longer the better for shooting of course with in reason
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:17 am

Stick length is secondary to the lie...check out the # of kids who have stick blades that make contact with 1 inch of ice on the heel....then they spend the entire game slapping their stick on the ice when the puck goes right under
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Hard to find anything these days other than a lie 5-6 in a jr or int stick, impossible to get an exact curve+lie combo other than from Base hockey.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:19 pm

My son plays D his stick length is half way between chin and bottom lip on skates. It's a good balance.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:08 pm

0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:11 pm

In most of those pictures the players aren't even holding their sticks straight up and down.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Guest wrote:In most of those pictures the players aren't even holding their sticks straight up and down.

Common knowledge that higher end players use a stick somewhere between mid chest and bottom of chin when they are on skates.
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:37 pm

What curve are most dmen using now? Seems like a lot of kids using ovechkin.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Guest wrote:What curve are most dmen using now? Seems like a lot of kids using ovechkin.

Anything heel curve.
2 x

Google

This Stick length Topic is Sponsored by:

Postby Google » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:54 pm

2 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:17 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:What curve are most dmen using now? Seems like a lot of kids using ovechkin.

Anything heel curve.

Heel curves are so 80s. Toe curves are the norm for D men now.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Anything heel curve.

Heel curves are so 80s. Toe curves are the norm for D men now.

To each his own.
Definitely easier for backhand clears, hard low shots for rebounds, slaps, passes.
1 x