Skills Developer-recommendations for summer

Skills Developer-recommendations for summer

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:44 pm

Looking for private/semi private skills developer for 2009 AA Son over the summer. Preferably in the west. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Small surface ice?
2 x

Re: Skills Developer-recommendations for summer

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:16 am

Guest wrote:Looking for private/semi private skills developer for 2009 AA Son over the summer. Preferably in the west. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Small surface ice?

Check out Maskin Hockey. They are based in west end .
2 x

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:24 am

Check out programs at canlan etobicoke also
2 x

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 am

Guest wrote:Check out programs at canlan etobicoke also

No, don't.
3 x

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Maskin hockey? lol
2 x

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Guest wrote:Maskin hockey? lol

What's funny? amazing skills and edge training plus the kids love him.
3 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Sells great tape too.
3 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Guest wrote:Looking for private/semi private skills developer for 2009 AA Son over the summer. Preferably in the west. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Small surface ice?

Looks like you are new.
No one will provide name of good trainer on here.
The challenge is to find a good trainer.
You will also discover that each trainer has their own specialty and you will need to cycle through many for a full spectrum of development.
Happy hunting,...
5 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Guest wrote:

Looks like you are new.
No one will provide name of good trainer on here.
The challenge is to find a good trainer.
You will also discover that each trainer has their own specialty and you will need to cycle through many for a full spectrum of development.
Happy hunting,...

True words. Just start somewhere (a google search can lead you to your first trainer) then you get to the good -> great trainers from the people you train with. (They also won't tell you anything at first, but as you get to know them, some will open up if they like you.)
4 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Guest wrote:

You have no idea what a good trainer is.
2 x

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Daniel Bochner is the top guy around.
2 x

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:59 pm

Guest wrote:Daniel Bochner is the top guy around.

What makes him the best trainer?
3 x

Google

This Skills Developer-recommendations for summer Topic is Sponsored by:

Postby Google » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:59 pm

3 x

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 am

anyone out there tried this and know if it's any good ?

https://defensive.proskatingcoach.com/sqz_page
2 x

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Save yourself a wack of money,

Do this.

Tell your kid to shoot 300 pucks a week in the basement. Along with X amount of stick handling drills per week.
make it a realistic goal, Offer a reward at the end of summer for completion. like a PS4 game or system if you don't have one. $400
I use this as my guide and I mix it up
https://www.omha.net/news_article/show/722993
http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... IEW_V2.pdf

Then take your kid public skating weekly. Tell him to go as fast as they can and weave in and out of the others. go backwards when there isn't many others in the way. 1 hr skating per week

That's the poor mans way... My kids are in AA and AAA playing just as much as the kids who's parents can afford private lessons all summer long. Plus my kids come back in September ready and eager to train again.

At 2009 you have a lot lot of time still. You will be surprised the amount of players which will come from house leauge in the next couple years and be better than the kids who have been on the ice 5 days a a week since 4 yrs old.
6 x

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:16 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

You have no idea what a good trainer is.

So whats the name of your hockey school?
2 x

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Guest wrote:Save yourself a wack of money,

Do this.

Tell your kid to shoot 300 pucks a week in the basement. Along with X amount of stick handling drills per week.
make it a realistic goal, Offer a reward at the end of summer for completion. like a PS4 game or system if you don't have one. $400

Then take your kid public skating weekly. Tell him to go as fast as they can and weave in and out of the others. go backwards when there isn't many others in the way. 1 hr skating per week

That's the poor mans way... My kids are in AA and AAA playing just as much as the kids who's parents can afford private lessons all summer long. Plus my kids come back in September ready and eager to train again.

At 2009 you have a lot lot of time still. You will be surprised the amount of players which will come from house leauge in the next couple years and be better than the kids who have been on the ice 5 days a a week since 4 yrs old.

really? your kids must be geniuses or naturals who taught themselves how to skate. or maybe you spend your whack of money during the season so they were on the ice 7 days a week.
2 x

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:That's the poor mans way... My kids are in AA and AAA playing just as much as the kids who's parents can afford private lessons all summer long. Plus my kids come back in September ready and eager to train again.

really? your kids must be geniuses or naturals who taught themselves how to skate. or maybe you spend your whack of money during the season so they were on the ice 7 days a week.

I did that with my eldest. When I was teaching the youngest to skate I’d let the eldest to put 2 skating aids a couple meters apart and do figure 8’s aroundthem in the kiddie section. Forwards and backwards. Sticks and pucks is a great place to learn crossovers. Iron cross reps. Russian circles are good too.

For less than $5/session your child can do 15-20 minutes of pure skating and get much much better over a year.

I can’t say that works in the absence of other training. But I don’t pay for many lessons. The lessons help with more concepts not really just skating.

Also - sticks and pucks and shinny in the summer is a great time to bring cones to the rink and have the kids make their own obstacle courses/drills.

You still need some lessons - but that shouldn’t be where your kids need to get their reps in. Lessons should be where they learn new things.

Besides, if your kid doesn’t love skating, why are you forcing them to play beyond their desire?
4 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Guest wrote:really? your kids must be geniuses or naturals who taught themselves how to skate. or maybe you spend your whack of money during the season so they were on the ice 7 days a week.

I thought I was being quiet clear with the approach. The whole point is I don't spend money on lessons and extra ice at this age. Instead we go public skating and pay little to no money. (However you do have to skate with them, They wont want to go on the ice alone) So that's one thing I left out.

I feel at 2009 age its all about skating.. forget shooting and stick handling lots of time to learn that. Teach them to skate properly and with a good strong stride and then let your season coach teach the stick handling and passing. Shooting can be taught in the driveway or basement. Ice is too expensive to use it to learn how to shoot a puck.

just my opinion
6 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:11 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Save yourself a wack of money,

Do this.

I am glad you people exist. It helps keep the weekly public skating empty enough for my kids to practice all the backward skating they want without worrying about others on the ice. And at stick n puck, we can set up our cones wherever we want because there's one other family around. This guy is right, the majority of your stick handling and shooting reps can be done off ice, no need to waste ice time. And a public skate is great to focus on skating. So please continue to ridicule him and tell all you friends never to follow his advice - more ice for the rest of us.
5 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:32 pm

You may have noticed that you haven't really gotten an answer for what seems to be a really simple question. At that age, almost anyone who advertises skating/skills/hockey instruction is good enough. I am going to assume you don't/didn't skate/play because if you did, it's much cheaper to take him on the ice yourself, and much more rewarding in terms of time spent together. Even if you can barely skate, go on the ice with him and ask him to practice different things.

Also, at that age, privates/semi-privates are an absolute waste of time and money. There are 2009 kids out there doing it I'm sure, but their parents aren't here asking about a trainer - they have found someone they like. I think it's safe to assume that your kid still has a lot of fundamentals to learn, so there's still a lot that can be covered in a group setting, significantly reducing the cost and allowing for many more sessions. This also allows your kid to see other kids his age doing it and to realize that the moves/drills are possible.

Check all the big arena's, they always have on-site schools and posters about upcoming camps. Start with the camps, and if at a big arena, slide over to the other rink and check out the other camps. BTW, I've heard good things about Olympic Hockey out of PowerAde and Next Pro at Iceland.
2 x