app for stats tracking?

app for stats tracking?

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm a coach (atom aged AA) and I'd like to assign a few parents on the team to track stats or even do it from the bench if we've got a full contingent of coaches present. I'm mostly interested in +/-, goals and assists, shots on net, but if other things like ice time could be easily tracked I'd be on board. Does anyone know of an app or program that makes stats tracking easier than scribbling on paper?
1 x

Re: app for stats tracking?

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:I'm a coach (atom aged AA) and I'd like to assign a few parents on the team to track stats or even do it from the bench if we've got a full contingent of coaches present. I'm mostly interested in +/-, goals and assists, shots on net, but if other things like ice time could be easily tracked I'd be on board. Does anyone know of an app or program that makes stats tracking easier than scribbling on paper?

yes. but thanks for trying to plug your own product. Use google if you really care.

My god people on this site can be d***s. I was genuinely asking. I’ve googled but there is more than one so I wondered if any parents or coaches with experience had any input or suggestions.
3 x

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:I'm a coach (atom aged AA) and I'd like to assign a few parents on the team to track stats or even do it from the bench if we've got a full contingent of coaches present. I'm mostly interested in +/-, goals and assists, shots on net, but if other things like ice time could be easily tracked I'd be on board. Does anyone know of an app or program that makes stats tracking easier than scribbling on paper?

yes. but thanks for trying to plug your own product. Use google if you really care.

My god people on this site can be d***s. I was genuinely asking. I’ve googled but there is more than one so I wondered if any parents or coaches with experience had any input or suggestions.

Try TeamSnap
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 am

think they are looking for apps to track as the shots and goals happen in a game, like watching NHL game-tracker, Team Snap is good to record basic stats after they are summarized from a game.
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Maybe ES would like to somehow introduce his product here....go ahead let's hear all about it!
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Answer to your question is No.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:43 pm

I have used a few over the years - some don’t exist anymore and the good ones cost money.

What I’ve learned is that if you need stats to coach your team, your not a good coach. Shots on net by period by a parent can reinforce what you observe, but anything else in Minor hockey is BS.

A 20 year coach.
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Guest wrote:I have used a few over the years - some don’t exist anymore and the good ones cost money.

What I’ve learned is that if you need stats to coach your team, your not a good coach. Shots on net by period by a parent can reinforce what you observe, but anything else in Minor hockey is BS.

A 20 year coach.

You’ve used them over the years but using them means you’re not a good coach? :lol:
2 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:I have used a few over the years - some don’t exist anymore and the good ones cost money.

A 20 year coach.

You’ve used them over the years but using them means you’re not a good coach? :lol:

The stats didn’t agree with my opinion, so they are useless.
1 x

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:03 am

Stats don't give the full picture, but my experience is that there is way too much of an emphasis on goal scoring on teams as the most important piece of info. Tracking +/- can allow coaches to acknowledge defensive players or that D who hasn't scored a goal all season but also doesn't get scored ON. There are forwards out there who score 20+ goals a season but still end up -10 and having that information allows coaches to address the issue. Shots are useful too especially if you've got a goalie parent who's counting anything that goes in the general direction of the net and you need something more objective. I don't believe in posting stats or emphasizing them as part of the team culture, but come on... they're useful.
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 am

Guest wrote:Stats don't give the full picture, but my experience is that there is way too much of an emphasis on goal scoring on teams as the most important piece of info. Tracking +/- can allow coaches to acknowledge defensive players or that D who hasn't scored a goal all season but also doesn't get scored ON. There are forwards out there who score 20+ goals a season but still end up -10 and having that information allows coaches to address the issue. Shots are useful too especially if you've got a goalie parent who's counting anything that goes in the general direction of the net and you need something more objective. I don't believe in posting stats or emphasizing them as part of the team culture, but come on... they're useful.

It all depends on how you run your team.

I suggest you break your stats into tiers based on who you play. Our team creamed all the low end teams last year and it made mediocre kids look good. Reality was that when they played tough teams the kids that didn't score much were still not scored on but the kids that could beat up on A/AA teams were handled easily.

I've seen kids have a high +/- but they're thrown on the ice for every offensive zone faceoff. They also never get off the ice in the offensive zone.

Other kids get all the defensive zone starts and get pulled in the offensive zone.

I strongly believe you need to keep track of the - and + stats separately

Who is better? Kid who is +25 with 15 points or +10 with 10 points?

Now who is better?
+25 that has allowed 30 goals against and has 15 points? or someone who is +10 has allowed 10 goals against and has 10 points over the course of a season?
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Guest wrote:It all depends on how you run your team.

I suggest you break your stats into tiers based on who you play. Our team creamed all the low end teams last year and it made mediocre kids look good. Reality was that when they played tough teams the kids that didn't score much were still not scored on but the kids that could beat up on A/AA teams were handled easily.

I've seen kids have a high +/- but they're thrown on the ice for every offensive zone faceoff. They also never get off the ice in the offensive zone.

Other kids get all the defensive zone starts and get pulled in the offensive zone.

I strongly believe you need to keep track of the - and + stats separately

Who is better? Kid who is +25 with 15 points or +10 with 10 points?

Now who is better?
+25 that has allowed 30 goals against and has 15 points? or someone who is +10 has allowed 10 goals against and has 10 points over the course of a season?

Absolutely this is true, especially in the AA loops where the bottom teams are effectively A teams and the top 1-2 teams might compete with the bottom AAA teams. There are kids who will score 2-3 goals against those bottom teams who won't secure a single point all season against the top teams. My older son was in one of the GTHL age groups that got tiered last year. Once his team made the top tier, there were a handful of kids who didn't get another point the rest of the season. Those players can have their stats padded by playing low teams. The bottom line is that stats are just one piece of a very large puzzle. My younger son recently played in a spring game where the team lost 6-3. One player got the hat trick but was also on for all 6 goals against. If the coach didn't track +/- both the hat trick kid and his parents might see the goals and not the lack of backchecking, especially if they don't understand the sport. So it's a useful part of the conversation when needed.
0 x

Google

This app for stats tracking? Topic is Sponsored by:

Postby Google » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm

0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:31 pm

My son experienced this at AAA. The teams at either end of the spectrum are very different. Lines/partners make a big difference here. That's why I mentioned splitting +- out with goals against.

You can easily see that player 2 in the above example was not surrounded with the kids that had the same capability as player 1. Goals were scored that did not include the player involved were much higher for player 1 than 2. 40 vs 10.
+25 +/-, 15 points, 30 goals against.

25 = 40(goals scored not including player)+15(goals scored involving player - whether assist or goal)-30 (goals against)
10 = 10(goals scored not including player)+10(goals scored involving player - whether assist or goal)-10 (goals against)

When you consider that the 30 goals against looks much worse - since that much goal scoring power should be eliminating opportunities.

Against bottom teams player 1 had much more success, but against top teams player 1 was a negative player. vs. Player 2 who was positive against both groups (but much less so against bottom teams). When you are beating a team 7-1, do you care if they score on one of your shifts and you end up 0, -1, +1? Or that your line hasn't put a goal in, or only scored on PP?
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Hockey Boxscore. Free Android app. I used it last year and it's fairly easy to use.
1 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:47 am

Tracking +/-?

Worst stat in hockey.
Especially for defensive players.
Do your job, tie up your man, your partner is asleep at the wheel and a goal happens.. coach is at home post game having a beer reviewing the good old plus minus and forms an opinion.

Not good for kids of this age.
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:19 am

Guest wrote:Tracking +/-?

Worst stat in hockey.
Do your job, tie up your man, your partner is asleep at the wheel and a goal happens.. coach is at home post game having a beer reviewing the good old plus minus and forms an opinion.

Agreed. That's why I pointed out the above issue with +/- as well if you tend to put out a D line with your 3rd line of F's or yank them in the O zone.

For a D you need to look more at the - and situations for the goals against.

How about when your D partner is burned so bad that you have a to take a penalty? Then the other team scores while you're in the box?

The other problem is that you need enough of a sample size to get a decent picture - like 1/3-1/2 the season.
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Tracking +/-?

Worst stat in hockey.

Agreed. That's why I pointed out the above issue with +/- as well if you tend to put out a D line with your 3rd line of F's or yank them in the O zone.

For a D you need to look more at the - and situations for the goals against.

How about when your D partner is burned so bad that you have a to take a penalty? Then the other team scores while you're in the box?

The other problem is that you need enough of a sample size to get a decent picture - like 1/3-1/2 the season.

Agree.
We had a player on our team who’s father cared nothing more than basing his kids performance on +/-

At times he’d chat with me in the stands boasting how his son had such a great +/- and I would keep mouth shut on this. It wasn’t until he had coaches coming to watch his kid and he was told how his son made it difficult for his D partner most of the time because he did very little work and his partner was left doing all the dirty work that he clued in that his kid wasn’t as good as he thought he was.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:02 pm

+/- is definitely not the worst stat in hockey.

In minor hockey, when a small number of players are -30 after 25 games, a larger group checks in at -10, and a small group at +5, that’s no accident. The numbers could tell a coach much more about the performance of units instead of individuals, but to call the stat “useless” is just wrong. Ever see a forward who takes incredibly long shifts and either boosts or lowers the +/- of guys who aren’t even his line mates? That information is valuable to know for any coach. Only when viewed in isolation does +/- have limited value, but as part of a bigger picture, I want that info.
0 x