OHL Gold Cup

Re: OHL Gold Cup

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:21 am

Guest wrote:OHL teams can only offer contracts with education packages to their top picks as high as 5th round after that there is no incentive for other kids to report and risk losing their NCAA eligibility.

This is the reality !!!!

Different poster here. I get what you are saying. Just if you are 6th round or lower the odds favour the kid never getting a D1 offer. Back in 1990, that wouldn't be the case. But today definitely the case. I think 80% have no chance of getting to D1. It is certainly a difficult proposition or bind for those that seem to have no incentive as you state. Because the odds favour that eventually making the O for some number of games is likely the highest level of hockey they could plausibly attain.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:40 am

JRC Parent here. Not only did JRC win the OHL Cup and Marlboros Tournament they absolutely dominated both tournaments. Six shutouts at Marlie Tournament and 35gf and 7ga in 7 games at OHL Cup is historic.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Many kids on many teams who should arguably be on the OHL Gold Cup roster. However, only the JRC parents on here complaining... move on please!

Not a JRC parent but did watch the OHL cup game last month on tv and am shocked that VK, who were totally ineffectual in that game, could have 8 players chosen to play in OHL gold cup and JRC only have 3 players chosen. Should be the other way around! Where were those 8 players in that game???

And don't even try the BS about VK having an off game -- they won nothing all year. They cannot deliver when it counts. So called VK superstars proved totally ineffective, at this level AND next...book it!

There is definitely collusion between those connected to VK and those choosing GTHL gold cup roster. Sad for the kids who deserve to be there.

Sure you're not a JRC parent. Sour grapes. Maybe the powers that be can buy Hockey Canada and Gold Cup to get their kids on there like they did in the draft.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:41 am

Guest wrote:JRC Parent here. Not only did JRC win the OHL Cup and Marlboros Tournament they absolutely dominated both tournaments. Six shutouts at Marlie Tournament and 35gf and 7ga in 7 games at OHL Cup is historic.

Not a fan of FC and his crew but hard to argue with those facts. That was a good run by a pretty mediocre team. They had real good goaltending and no real stars other than DR and Russian D.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 am

get over yourselves and grow up. Waaah waaah my kid didn't get picked. Tough. Welcome to the world
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:JRC Parent here. Not only did JRC win the OHL Cup and Marlboros Tournament they absolutely dominated both tournaments. Six shutouts at Marlie Tournament and 35gf and 7ga in 7 games at OHL Cup is historic.

Not a fan of FC and his crew but hard to argue with those facts. That was a good run by a pretty mediocre team. They had real good goaltending and no real stars other than DR and Russian D.

^^^this guy just answered the riddle. "no real stars other than DR and Russian D". And that is why there is a limited number of JRC players at the Gold Cup and most of the JRC players drafted were in the friends and favours rounds.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm

JRC were controlled by the Fonz who ensured Jr would be given every opportunity every game. JRC prevailed despite his mingling. Imagine what JRC would have done if they played those who deserved the ice.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Not a big deal if you did not get selected to OHL Gold Cup. If you are good and deserving your respective OHL team that drafted will reap the benefits.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:OHL teams can only offer contracts with education packages to their top picks as high as 5th round after that there is no incentive for other kids to report and risk losing their NCAA eligibility.

This is the reality !!!!

Different poster here. I get what you are saying. Just if you are 6th round or lower the odds favour the kid never getting a D1 offer. Back in 1990, that wouldn't be the case. But today definitely the case. I think 80% have no chance of getting to D1. It is certainly a difficult proposition or bind for those that seem to have no incentive as you state. Because the odds favour that eventually making the O for some number of games is likely the highest level of hockey they could plausibly attain.[

-----------------------------------------------------

BINGO ! You hit the nail on the coffin.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

This is the reality !!!!

Different poster here. I get what you are saying. Just if you are 6th round or lower the odds favour the kid never getting a D1 offer. Back in 1990, that wouldn't be the case. But today definitely the case. I think 80% have no chance of getting to D1. It is certainly a difficult proposition or bind for those that seem to have no incentive as you state. Because the odds favour that eventually making the O for some number of games is likely the highest level of hockey they could plausibly attain.[

That is complete BS, you either are very new to this or are an insider trying to promote the league
Many late round picks and even non drafted players receive D1 offers every year, maybe not right away but if the kid is good enough eventually they do.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:04 pm

My son's jr a team has many D1 commits and not one of them was drafted in the top 5 rounds of the OHL draft.
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Different poster here. I get what you are saying. Just if you are 6th round or lower the odds favour the kid never getting a D1 offer. Back in 1990, that wouldn't be the case. But today definitely the case. I think 80% have no chance of getting to D1. It is certainly a difficult proposition or bind for those that seem to have no incentive as you state. Because the odds favour that eventually making the O for some number of games is likely the highest level of hockey they could plausibly attain.

That is complete BS, you either are very new to this or are an insider trying to promote the league
Many late round picks and even non drafted players receive D1 offers every year, maybe not right away but if the kid is good enough eventually they do.

You clearly did not read or understand my original reply. I fully agree that some percentage of players drafted 6th round or lower or not drafted at all end up in D1. And a substantial percentage from that same bucket end up in D3. Similarly a high percentage end up in CIS having never burned their NCAA eligibility. For every 5 players in this boat I am saying 4 won't get to that ultimate goal of D1. It is easy to assess the rosters of D1 teams every year, and review how many Ontario kids are in those rosters and work your way backwards to do the math. The math has been going in the wrong direction year over year.

I don't think we are disagreeing. I agree with you that some players eventually develop and earn a spot due to keeping at the goal. Are you say information that not many who maintain that goal through age 20 fail? I know of cases where a D3 "offer" is delayed for one more year and the kid never ends up on the roster of college hockey.
0 x

Google

This OHL Gold Cup Topic is Sponsored by:

Postby Google » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm

0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:23 pm

I get the desire to bash JRC but how does it help anyone to leave skilled players out of the OHL Gold Cup and insert kids that have no chance at playing meaningful hockey down the road.

Does anyone know who picks the rosters?

What is the process?
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 pm

lets face the facts the only one complaining on the JRC is the loud mouth parent that every one avoids
hint
K
0 x

Goalie

Postby Goalie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 am

Guest wrote:
Guestss wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Funny no TRW goalies and CB is the head coach
My kid deserved to me there

No sorry TRW goalies deserve exactly what they got ..NOTHING ...CJ is in the words of a prominent scout in the OHL ..clueless as a coach ..good luck to Marlies with this guy behind bench next year.No feel for game.

TRW goalies will bounce back and have a good year - it can't get worse then last season Team was perceived weak because of the goaltending when in fact they were a better team then 6th, 7th and 8th place teams.
Scouts if that what they said about CJ then its about the only thing that got right in April Only 1 player drafted on this team many overlooked

The perception was correct. Two giant goalies who can’t stop a beach ball

Thank you Jerry we have heard you say this all year long
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:12 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

This is the reality !!!!

Correct. And how many end up being good enough that they end up in D1? Have you reviewed D1 rosters and done the math?
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:59 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

You clearly did not read or understand my original reply. I fully agree that some percentage of players drafted 6th round or lower or not drafted at all end up in D1. And a substantial percentage from that same bucket end up in D3. Similarly a high percentage end up in CIS having never burned their NCAA eligibility. For every 5 players in this boat I am saying 4 won't get to that ultimate goal of D1. It is easy to assess the rosters of D1 teams every year, and review how many Ontario kids are in those rosters and work your way backwards to do the math. The math has been going in the wrong direction year over year.

I don't think we are disagreeing. I agree with you that some players eventually develop and earn a spot due to keeping at the goal. Are you say information that not many who maintain that goal through age 20 fail? I know of cases where a D3 "offer" is delayed for one more year and the kid never ends up on the roster of college hockey.

Looking at one D1 School (St. Lawrence University) they have 10 Canadians on the roster and of those 7 were never drafted by a CHL team. 1 was drafted in the 8th round.
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:25 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Looking at one D1 School (St. Lawrence University) they have 10 Canadians on the roster and of those 7 were never drafted by a CHL team. 1 was drafted in the 8th round.

Correct. Now go through all 60 D1 rosters and total up the number of Ontario players, divide that number by 4 to get how many Ontario kids per year. Then calculate the typical number of Ontatio kids each year who are low end O draft picks and see what that percentage is. Don’t even consider undrafted players. They are not great odds.
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:56 am

I have this data. It was provided by a US College Hockey recruiter/advocacy group that this a presentation to our league this year. NCAA D1 is made up of approximately 35-40% Canadian players. With 60 teams this means about 480 Canadians playing NCAA D1. If you even it out by Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior the you have around 120 canadians per birth year (this is a very rough estimate as not all players play 4 years). This is Canada wide though and not Ontario only. Ontario likely makes up somewhere around 33% of this as it has about 33% of the population so that means 40 Ontario kids per year get a D1 scholarship but it's important to note that not all scholarships are full rides.

None of this means don't try or give up though. By that logic anyone starting a business who is told that 80% of business fail would give up.

No risk, no reward. Follow your dreams and see what happens. The player has more control than they think but the oddsmakers don't take that into account. I always tell my kids, the difference between the winners and the losers is that winners are willing to do the things that the losers are not willing to do. I am positive that the vast majority of players in NCAA and NHL are there because of that principal.
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:53 am

Who says to give up your dreams? The point was someone called BS when I stated that playing a handful of games in the O is likely the highest level of hockey that 80% of those undrafted or drafted 6th round or lower in the O can attain. That is without a doubt true when you look at the numbers of Ontario D1 roster spots as well as the trend on where those numbers have been going.

It is very true that most that try to keep the D1 dream alive won’t get there. I don’t know if it’s exactly 80% but the point is it’s a very high failure rate. Whether full scholarship or not is irrelevant. I know there is financial aid at these schools and that skews the value or meaning of a full ride. You can only learn by interviewing others who went down without full scholarships to know how it worked out financially. So to me a partial scholarship is good enough.

But the point is a good percentage of those gunning for D1 will end up only generating D3 interest or end up in the CIS. Even though they kept their eligibility open and had D1 as their ultimate goal. It is just the reality of the situation today. It’s no longer as it was in 1990.
0 x