2004 Ottawa Spring 2016

Re: 2004 Ottawa Spring 2016

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:51 am

Just what I said. My kid is a T2/3 player. Why does it matter what he played? It's spring hockey-who cares and it's in Ottawa. So if your a talented group you should have to travel far away just to play for all your tournaments. Most of these kids are playing in their backyard-who cares. I appreciate that some of those kids will play elite at some point in the spring, good for them. It's an early tournament that's fun. We have lost like that and to be honest my kid laughed at himself and his team went out and won their next game. We don't do spring anymore cant be bothered.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:53 am

Some teams were mostly winter teams, some were potential AAA teams, others were friends teams.
I don't understand the first two groups since some kids get left out. Most cause problems latter.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:07 am

10:26. Not top S7 that's for sure.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:12 am

Aren't they all top?
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:13 am

Guest wrote:You were not there, because at least 5 passes were the norm for all games.

So why the massive 20-1 blowout?!?!? If the disparity between teams is so bad that despite ALL efforts done by the coach to ease the pain, 20-1 is an inevitability-you have got major problems. I'm sure all the kids had fun. wow
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:15 am

I'm sure the kids did. Parents maybe not.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:18 am

Guest wrote:Just what I said. My kid is a T2/3 player. Why does it matter what he played? It's spring hockey-who cares and it's in Ottawa. So if your a talented group you should have to travel far away just to play for all your tournaments. Most of these kids are playing in their backyard-who cares. I appreciate that some of those kids will play elite at some point in the spring, good for them. It's an early tournament that's fun. We have lost like that and to be honest my kid laughed at himself and his team went out and won their next game. We don't do spring anymore cant be bothered.

Who cares--with a 20-1 score, you don't think that it will get a reaction. A good tournament would ensure that this never happens. Let alone the coach of the teams involved-both of them!

Who cares it's in Ottawa?? What kind of comment is that? Do you have an inferiority complex?

Most of these kids play in their backyards? If that is where they play their hockey all winter, why would they play in a spring AAA tournament??

It's an early tournament that's fun??? With blowouts like 20-1 and more to come as other posters said, who is actually having fun??

You don't do spring because you can't be bothered? Doesn't seem like you had fun
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:19 am

Guest wrote:I'm sure the kids did. Parents maybe not.

Losing like that isn't fun.

Winning like that isn't fun either.

Fair, equal competition is fun. That is the point everyone is avoiding.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:45 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:I'm sure the kids did. Parents maybe not.

Losing like that isn't fun.

Winning like that isn't fun either.

Fair, equal competition is fun. That is the point everyone is avoiding.

The point you seem to be missing is its not fair or equil . There are lots of teams that are very good and will win by double digits and there is also the opposite teams that will be blown out. It is not AAA hockey it is spring hockey .
When these 04 kids came out of IP there were 2 top teams in Ottawa ..Maplesoft and SHD East (SHD used to pump Maplesoft )after these 2 teams there was a little drop where the Riot and 67's stood, after that you had the rest of the teams maybe 6 that used to get beaten up on by the top 4..
Teams used to come in from all over to play and there was some real good competition now you have lots of teams in the area which are not overly strong taking spots in tournaments where they honestly don't belong and complaining about getting pumped .
Ya ya keep the elitest crap comments to yourself I'm just stating the truth .
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:54 am

11:18 and 11:19?
Honestly we lost one game 25-0. My son laughed, said wow and moved on and won the next few. Ottawa hockey is simply to small. Aside from a few(very few) MS,SHD a few others the talent pool to tier like the Mid-west, eastern US and TO is impossible. NAPS could not even work here despite us still have some great talent. CP is an early Ottawa spring team(s) event.(you can call it AAA or what ever) I'd prefer to call it an early bird event of Ottawa spring hockey. Some teams stay in Ottawa and some travel. For the record the team that beat us was one of those teams but to be honest my son and myself would have been really pissed if they did not have at least the respect for us as an opponent to play us. If they had sat back at the blue line and played keep away our team had players and parents whom would have been more insulted and won the penalty box. In fact we still laugh about it when we see some of those players. It was a great spring. I think people get upset when they realize that there is a lot of talent out there.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:39 pm

The Casselman tournament lists itself as AAA. Why? You admit it's not even close, so why?

I really have to question anyone who just laughs off losing 25-0!! Why wouldn't you want to play in a tournament of similarly skilled teams, so everyone has a chance? More fun, less complaining!! Once again why?

Why should parents and coaches, and tournament administrators all start guessing how good teams are? A good tournament would have specified levels. Hey I love hockey and my kids play all winter long at the competitive level. I wouldn't want them playing on a team that is above their skill level, nor would I want their team playing in a tournament so far above their ability that they lose that bad. There is no need for that at all. That is not FUN! There is no respect for an opponent when you lose that bad. It's a recipe for fights and other ugly events.

I still don't know why tiering the teams isn't done. I suspect that it is because spring teams insist on calling themselves AAA. What other reason is there. So when you have only one designated level, good luck with that bunch of HL, or Rep B or mix of mostly AAA but some AA, or an all out all-star AAA squad. Other than the top 2-3 tournaments in the province, you have no idea what you are getting. Even those tournaments are only for the elite, and they are out WIN at all costs. That is another entire issue regarding no FUN for many players.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:54 pm

^^^^^ I agree! There needs to be different levels. I played in a men's tournament this winter. This roughly how they had it broken down:

-Elite- 4 teams-pretty much ex junior and some ex pro

-competitive-many ex junior, NCAA, or "young" competitive players

-Rec A-older ex junior, competitive players-less serious, playing with buddies

-Rec B-competitive players and Hl level young guys

-Gentleman's A, B, C, D-buddies more interested in drinking

-over 35 competitive-ex junior or competitive players

-over 35 rec-older, out for fun

-over 45-mix of old guys!!!!

I'm a four years away from the over 45!

They do this so that EVERYONE will be competitive in their division and have fun. Isn't that the reason why our kids play??!!

I see parents caught up in the letters.
0 x

1:18

Postby 1:18 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:39 pm

Guest wrote:Who was the 05 team? Maplesoft?

Guest wrote:Very few top kids in there. An 05 team is one of the best that's how awful this tournament is.

There were actually 2 '05 teams..Pirates Gendron was the other
0 x

1:18

Postby 1:18 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:40 pm

Guest wrote:Are Pirates Gendron an 04 team? Cuz they have a team in 05 next weekend as well.

Guest wrote:^^^ yes Maplesoft

Pirates Gendron are an '05 team
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:52 pm

12:39
because I can see it, for what for what it is. Like I said, we did fairly well that season and competed at most Ottawa tournaments. We did not win most tournaments but our fair share of games. Almost all the teams were fairly competitive except a few. Many other teams lost by big scores to a select few teams. Neither of the 1-2 (3) top teams were in every tournament we entered. Most coaches know the good, bad and the ugly. CP is a first run. Its tiered by play to Sunday better than most. Over the years, sometimes some very good teams show and other years they don't. You can call it gold, silver, bronze. I'd say T1,2,3 play the finals of each. I think most teams get 4-5 games. That's not a bad run.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Holy smokes the everything has to be fair parents have invaded minorhockeytalk . Life is not fair some kids are good but some are better , spring hockey is about winning nothing less if you want to win field a good team if you want to compete field a good team. If you are there with friends just to play a few spring tournament's great!.. have fun but if you get blown out don't complain there will be better teams than yours.
At my kids school there is a HL B team going into the little Sens tournament at the 06 level make sence no but they will be there.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:35 pm

I could probably make this statement on most of the sites on HT, how can everything in hockey seem to be such a wreck yet everything relatively runs very well?
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:13 pm

why have levels during winter season?

why does the Minto Travellers league have many levels for beer league

why does the RA league have many levels for bee league as well.

Why are there 4 or more separate world hockey championships every year? Why don't just let all the teams play in one huge tournament?

All is fair mentality?!?!? I guess you summed up your view with the spring is only for winning statement. Bring out your best team. You are an idiot.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:22 pm

Guest wrote:why have levels during winter season?

why does the Minto Travellers league have many levels for beer league

why does the RA league have many levels for bee league as well.

Why are there 4 or more separate world hockey championships every year? Why don't just let all the teams play in one huge tournament?

All is fair mentality?!?!? I guess you summed up your view with the spring is only for winning statement. Bring out your best team. You are an idiot.

Spring was originally for top kids years ago just like T1 hockey like it or not that's the way it is . You have other options for things to do in the spring time if it isn't your cup of tea you can
1- garden
2- sweep the driveway
3- rake the lawn
4- play another sport
5- do some training to get better
6- getting ready for the AAA season ** wait scratch number 7**
0 x