2006 GTHL AA East Teams

Re: 2006 GTHL AA East Teams

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:56 pm

and GPR 2 top forwards went to?
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:13 am

GPR AA team can use some of the kids from GPR's single A team. Some of the kids from the A team are AA material for sure....strong skaters!!! Not
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:21 pm

Any teams other than DM fold?
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Is it true the DMM coach had his kid at skates 2 weeks before the tryout looking for another team for his kid? Then he bailed on the team at the first tryout?
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:50 am

Ouch!
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:04 pm

How are the Toronto Shamrocks going to be this year? They're a new team? Where are most of their kids from?
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 pm

cast offs from NT T3, NYK T2, DMM T2
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:41 pm

How does mi aa look
0 x

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Are all of the teams full?
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:00 pm

RE:GPR

On the 2006 A forum - there is reference to the GPR A team having 4-5 AA calibre players - and on this forum- there is reference suggesting the GPR AA team will be in a battle for last place. If this truly is the case...why wouldn't they swap players? - By the sounds of these forums.. it almost suggests the A team would beat the AA team....that's not good for anybody in the organization or the teams that either of these teams play.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Shamrocks are going to be at the bottom. Team is made up of a lot of parents who think their kids are AA. Unfortunately its going to be a very long year for those poor kids.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:27 pm

@12:00 - I believe GPR single A team is made up of players from Thornhill Rebels T2 team. I would agree that some players on GPR Single A team should be in AA. I don't believe the Single A team can beat the AA team but because the A team may have some weak players. Like the other person stated only about 4-5 are AA caliber. Most other are likely to be A or even weaker.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:40 pm

a previous poster indicated that GPR AA HC is not known for recruiting thus he will have crappy team. I guess it's too late for him to look at the GPR single A players now that tryouts are done and cards are signed.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:17 pm

GPR A coach is from TH T2 and brought his TH players with him. Teams are built based on coach and core loyalties, not on the name of the org. You can't assume that GPR AA would have access to GPR A players because they are GPR teams.
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:17 pm

Guest wrote:GPR A coach is from TH T2 and brought his TH players with him. Teams are built based on coach and core loyalties, not on the name of the org. You can't assume that GPR AA would have access to GPR A players because they are GPR teams.

couldn't agree more....but a good organization with good marketing should be able to circumvent something like this,especially an organization that has the upside of a AAA program...no?
0 x

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:34 pm

I don't think orgs can control things like that. All they can do is appoint coaches and the players will go where they want to go. Can't force players who want to sandbag in A to play AA.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:24 am

Guest wrote:I don't think orgs can control things like that. All they can do is appoint coaches and the players will go where they want to go. Can't force players who want to sandbag in A to play AA.

Fair enough I guess!

On a side note - Any news on teams that have folded thus far in this loop. I have been quite shocked by some of the AA signings that I have caught wind of - kids that I would have thought would be fringe A players signing with AA squads. Is there that much desperation out there just to field a team... I really hope whoever takes the controls of the GTHL next will monitor this. There is way too many teams... between A,AA,AAA there are something like 55-65 ( maybe more east alone in 30+teams plus AAA) teams registered... The NYHL as a whole t1 through 6 only had 60 teams - this is the major feeder to the GTHL is it not? I get there imports/under agers and MHL teams to consider.. but in all honesty- 80% of anything below t3 should probably not be playing at the A level, never mind the AA or AAA level.
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:55 pm

GTHL crackdown has some clubs worried about their survival

28 Dec 2013

A move designed to eliminate blowouts and put more kids back into house league instead of competitive hockey has some decades-old GTHL clubs fearing for their survival. With about three-quarters of the regular season completed, 20 teams out of 532 have not won a single game, 22 have managed to win once and 14 have only two victories, according to standings posted Sunday. There were plenty of lopsided scores, said Greater Toronto Hockey League executive director Scott Oakman. One team recently lost 20-1, another team has an 0-28-0 record, scoring just14 goals and giving up 300.

The root cause of many of the blowouts and teams with uncompetitive records is simple, Oakman said. “It is evident that some are playing competitive hockey who should not be,” Oakman said in a recent interview. That kind of disparity serves no one, either the teams which roll through their schedules crushing other teams, nor the players and teams on the receiving end. “We have an obligation to all teams . . . winners and the losers,” Oakman added.

Part of the reason for the competitive imbalance, said Oakman, is that the league has simply expanded too quickly. Four years ago, there were 512 teams. By the end of last season, there were 541. While the number of competitive teams has gone up, house league enrollment numbers have gone down. To help eliminate the disparity, in June the GTHL announced it was cracking down for the 2015-16 season. If a team doesn’t earn a single point in the standings, the league’s Category Committee — which has power to approve a team’s existence — is “very unlikely” to give it the thumbs-up for the next season, committee chair Ken Smith wrote in the report he gave to the general managers at the league’s annual general meeting
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:56 pm

Scarborough Young Bruins president Carmen Cummings has been with the Bruins (formerly Dorset Park) for 32 years of the club’s 60year existence.
“Categorization will shut down organizations like ourselves. If I don’t have an atom (10-year-old) team this year and am not awarded a minor peewee (11-year-olds) next year, (extinction) could happen over the next few years,” said Cummings.

Already, some teams are disappearing on their own because of lack of players or money. This past spring, the league approved a total of 592 teams for the current season, but there are now just 532, because clubs withdrew 60 teams on their own. “This is the first time that I have had to withdraw three teams,” said Cummings. Cummings has spent almost $50,000 of her own money during the past three decades so kids could play. She was on the cusp of pulling yet another midget team of 16 and 17 year olds but has kept it afloat saying teens belong on the ice not on the street corners. She is discouraged and is thinking of leaving the sport at the end of the season. “I have proven over the years that I run a good organization but look where we are now,” she said. Cummings is not alone.
0 x