OHF/OHL U15

Guest

OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:37 am



We applied for my kid to enter this program, got an invite yesterday.

I know at least 2 kids from our team that were declined...is this a worthwhile spend of $500 or so?

Anyone have any experience with this program?
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 am

My son went last year. He loved it. Was a terrific experience. Is it worth it? To us it was.
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:44 am

It is a great experience for the kids - just don’t make the mistake of linking this to the chances of him getting drafted. They are completely unrelated.

Let him go and have some fun, learn some stuff and get a chance to play with different kids.
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Hmmm. Never heard anyone get turned down. Good experience and fun but still a cash grab
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Guest wrote:It is a great experience for the kids - just don’t make the mistake of linking this to the chances of him getting drafted. They are completely unrelated.

Let him go and have some fun, learn some stuff and get a chance to play with different kids.


Poster is bang on with the statement. Send him for sure but don't read too deeply into the invite
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Have fun and let your kid can decide after the fact if it is worth the $$

Mine went last year and had a great time and as a parent I got to have a few drinks with the other dads
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Heard of a few kids getting turned down too. What is the selection criteria?
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Guest wrote:Heard of a few kids getting turned down too. What is the selection criteria?

There is none. There are more applicants than spots, so they take the AAA kids only and randomly select those for each location.
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:03 pm

its just another money grab, better off going to dry land
or on ice with a trainer
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Heard of a few kids getting turned down too. What is the selection criteria?

There is none. There are more applicants than spots, so they take the AAA kids only and randomly select those for each location.

Close to 700 applications for 350 spots total. Luck of the draw unfortunately.
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Talk to people who have had kids attend this
Everyone I know loved it
1 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm

2 nights Hotel accommodation, all free meals, 3 full days of on ice and off ice training and educational seminars.

Add to that an amazing time for the kids and I'd say that's pretty far from a cash grab and definitely a heck of a deal.

It is OHL marketing to get as many draft eligible kids to consider the OHL as a hockey option give the other options available today.
2 x

Google

This OHF/OHL U15 Topic is Sponsored by:

Postby Google » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm

2 x
Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:58 pm

five camps running mainly in april/may except the one up north is in August
42 kids invited to each camp means that 210 kids get the invite after applying online

I think it is mainly AAA kids and I hope to get into Vaughan camp as my son is on a waiting list

heard there were 500 applicants!!!
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Speaking from one of the coaches perspective this Combine is very well run.

These camps are not to promote the OHL and they are definitely not a cash grab.

They say player applications are selected at random and that is true to a certain exstent ... top end AAA players are invited first to the camps they apply for. Then the camp is randomly filled in with AAA players getting priority.

You get on and off ice hockey Canada testing
Mental health seminar
Nutrition seminar
Defenceman focused Practice ( run by OHL coach )
Forward focused practice ( run by OHL coach )
Team practice
3 games

Breakfast lunch and diner
Accommodations (hotel or dorm)
Buses to and from accommodations

This is not including tons of other perks

And for all you Dad who only want to go places you’re kids has a chance to “get a look” don’t worry all the team coaches have connections with OHL teams junior teams Midget AAA team and lots of scouts show up to watch the games and talk to the coaches.
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Guest wrote:Speaking from one of the coaches perspective this Combine is very well run.

These camps are not to promote the OHL and they are definitely not a cash grab.

They say player applications are selected at random and that is true to a certain exstent ... top end AAA players are invited first to the camps they apply for. Then the camp is randomly filled in with AAA players getting priority.

You get on and off ice hockey Canada testing
Mental health seminar
Nutrition seminar
Defenceman focused Practice ( run by OHL coach )
Forward focused practice ( run by OHL coach )
Team practice
3 games

Breakfast lunch and diner
Accommodations (hotel or dorm)
Buses to and from accommodations

This is not including tons of other perks

And for all you Dad who only want to go places you’re kids has a chance to “get a look” don’t worry all the team coaches have connections with OHL teams junior teams Midget AAA team and lots of scouts show up to watch the games and talk to the coaches.


Just a shame that entry is random.
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Don't be so naive. It's random only after all the priority picks are made and for the Toronto camp it's highly unlikely there are any random picks.
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am

your better off going to camps in the USA
and prep schools

do you really want you kid living with a billet in north bay or thunderbay
or an actual scholarship in american dollars

don't believe the hype the ohl has been on the decline for years, this is simply a publicity stint to get people back
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:54 am

Camp is garbage!
Nothing but a money grab!
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Sounds like you didn't get an invite.
0 x

Guest

Re: OHF/OHL U15

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Guest wrote:your better off going to camps in the USA
and prep schools

do you really want you kid living with a billet in north bay or thunderbay
or an actual scholarship in american dollars

don't believe the hype the ohl has been on the decline for years, this is simply a publicity stint to get people back



"Thunder Bay" in the OHL?? Yup, you're an expert.
0 x


Return to “2004 and Older”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests