Away tournament question 2004 kids

Away tournament question 2004 kids

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Question for hockey parents.... Our rep coach 2004 select is planning a away tournament. But here's the catch. He wants the kids to room together. No parents.

We are new to hockey and are not to sure about this. Is this the norm?
1 x

Re: Away tournament question 2004 kids

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Don't think the hotels allow that. Has to be one adult 18+ as per policies.
1 x

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Guest wrote:Don't think the hotels allow that. Has to be one adult 18+ as per policies.

I think this poster is right. It would be sh**tshow on our team. Your just asking for trouble. NO not the norm. Weird. Has your coach had a police background check? :?:
9 x

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Schools do this on class trips, they hire a firm to sit in the hallway and monitor that the kids don't leave the room or cause trouble. By that age parents would prefer to stay home than go to an away tourney. I say if they have outside professional supervision following the 2 deep rule, then go for it and give the parents a weekend at home alone.
1 x

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Since it is Select level hockey we are talking about here I could see it being ok if properly supervised. Wouldn't fly at higher competitive levels that make sure curfews are in place and often things like swimming between games are not allowed. All depends on how competitive and how prepared for the games the coaches want to be. Otherwise its just like sleepovers.
1 x

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Have seen this done many times with the older age groups. Players and coaches stay in one hotel and parents in another. Usually done for team bonding, etc. without parent involvement. Additional expense for parents, although costs of rooms are usually 25% with 4 in a room.
1 x

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Absolutely not.

. Next question............
2 x

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Organization won't allow it!
1 x

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Oh hell no.
1 x

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Guest wrote:Question for hockey parents.... Our rep coach 2004 select is planning a away tournament. But here's the catch. He wants the kids to room together. No parents.

Not the norm. He needs to understand the 2 up rule. HC frowns upon stuff like this.
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:01 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Question for hockey parents.... Our rep coach 2004 select is planning a away tournament. But here's the catch. He wants the kids to room together. No parents.

Not the norm. He needs to understand the 2 up rule. HC frowns upon stuff like this.

The 2 deep rule is for when adults are with children - to protect both the child and the adult from anything that looks improper. The 2 deep rule does not apply to children of the same age and sex being roomates. Personally I don't think that it's a great idea to have a room full of 13 yr olds left to their own devices, but it doesn't contravene any HC rules.
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:20 am

Guest wrote:Schools do this on class trips, they hire a firm to sit in the hallway and monitor that the kids don't leave the room or cause trouble. By that age parents would prefer to stay home than go to an away tourney. I say if they have outside professional supervision following the 2 deep rule, then go for it and give the parents a weekend at home alone.

"By that she parents prefer to stay home!" Um, no. My kid is an 03....and I am there for every game and tourney....especially away ones. I haven't invested this much money over the years not to be!! This is NOT normal....
1 x

Google

This Away tournament question 2004 kids Topic is Sponsored by:

Postby Google » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:20 am

1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:21 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Schools do this on class trips, they hire a firm to sit in the hallway and monitor that the kids don't leave the room or cause trouble. By that age parents would prefer to stay home than go to an away tourney. I say if they have outside professional supervision following the 2 deep rule, then go for it and give the parents a weekend at home alone.

"By that age parents prefer to stay home!" Um, no. My kid is an 03....and I am there for every game and tourney....especially away ones. I haven't invested this much money over the years not to be!! This is NOT normal....
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Maybe the coach is planning a late night meeting? If you know what I mean. No f**cking way this would happen on our team.

You need to speak up.
2 x

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Starts at MM (15U) for us.
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 pm

No way this can end well. No need for 13 year old boys to be on their own in a hotel room. Stay away from that idea.
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:45 pm

do any of you send your grade 8 child (that is what a 2004 kid would be) to away/sleepover camp in the summer?
You know, like HOC or the such.....why is this any different. Kids sleeping 8-12 in a cabin with an adult (lol summer university student) as the group leader.

Just being throwing it out there.
2 x

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:00 pm

It's perfectly fine at bantam age and above. 5 suites for the kids, 3 or 4 per room. Coaches in another. This kids get to bond and spend time away from overbearing dad... who just wants him in his room to curse at him all night for not scoring a goal. Coaches are there to enforce curfew and team rules. Have an older child who did this at Major Bantam and Midget, he loved it. Most of you dads would be afraid to know how much your kid would enjoy being away from you at a tournament.
1 x

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Guest wrote:

"By that she parents prefer to stay home!" Um, no. My kid is an 03....and I am there for every game and tourney....especially away ones. I haven't invested this much money over the years not to be!! This is NOT normal....

While this scenario is unusual for a team of 13 year old hockey players, children do stay together overnight in other situations WITH PROPER ADULT SUPERVISION eg. Overnight summer camps, school trips, etc.

What are you "invested" in?

This is one of the major problems of minor hockey in Canada. It's fine to attend every game and tournament your child plays. But what is this "investment"? You need to take a step back and understand that it's your child playing MINOR HOCKEY, and not you.

Minor hockey should be for fun. Certainly AAA player's take it very seriously and some of them will have the opportunity to play at the next level. But the "investment" in minor hockey should be the raising of a healthy active normally-adjusted child.
2 x

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:04 pm

My priest used to coordinate similar outings.
1 x