2017 CPBL, PBLO, MMEL, OBA Discussion Talk

cpbl4now

Re: 2017 CPBL, PBLO, MMEL, OBA Discussion Talk

Postby cpbl4now » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:06 am

I recently read somewhere that the average NCAA D1 coach has a recruiting budget of less than $3000. Unless the college is close to the boarder and maybe a MEL/BEL OBA championship is being played in Windsor or St Catherine's, or the coach has close ties to team coaches in Ontario, I would be very surprised if very many coaches come to Ontario to scout players at tournament games. I think a players best chance to be seen is to attend PBR or PG showcase combines and send communications directly to schools they are interested in attending.

Sure there are a few Canadian pro scouts, but that's a pipe dream at best!
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:05 am

That's where YouTube and self-marketing come in.
0 x

guest10

Postby guest10 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:52 am

When will the OBJs update their website? The GLC, Mets, Nationals all have updated roster information and news and there's the OBJs with last year's info! It doesn't look good for the organization.
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:55 am

OBJ's like to let the kids and parents hope there's a chance they'll make the A team when in fact that team was already picked last fall. They'll update it right before the season starts.
#pipedreams!
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:00 pm

FJSL showing they are entering 2 12u teams and a 11u team. Does this mean the 12u teams will not be drafted evenly?
0 x

guest10

Postby guest10 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:21 pm

Anywhere OBJ has multiple teams in an age group, you can be sure that one team will be far better than the other.
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:42 pm

I am guessing their u11 team may be 2005 kids born after May 1st, so that they are u11 according to US travel baseball calendar. Last year was about finding the kids and forming lots of teams, this year they should be re-orienteering them away from calendar year age groups. This allows them to compete like for like in the US.
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Last year all 3 OBJ 12u teams got destroyed. OBJ Naylor the best team nearly lost every tournament game in the US by 3-inning 18 run mercy rule. Elite ball really?
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:54 pm

You do know in the US tournys, they are matched against older kids 12-13 , thanks to their May 1 cut off, you should see of some of those kids. I think at that point it's getting the kids used to that level of play, nothing more nothing less. It's 16 and up is when they go to compete and win these tournaments.
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:05 pm

You have to start somewhere. Sure some of the kids may be outmatched but if they never get the better coaching and never get the top competition you/they don't really ever know how good they could be. Do I think EVERYONE should play 6 years at this level? Probably not but people have no problem dropping 8 Grand and travelling to the US 2 to3 times a winter as part of a AAA hockey team. My son is not with the OBJ's but I understand the decision because the Coaching and training are a totally different level than they are inside my home OBA organization.
0 x

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Very few AAA hockey teams travel 3 times a season to the US. Most will do 1 trip down south. Hockey is paying $300/hour for the ice.
0 x

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Guest wrote:Last year all 3 OBJ 12u teams got destroyed. OBJ Naylor the best team nearly lost every tournament game in the US by 3-inning 18 run mercy rule. Elite ball really?

Not sure where you got your Naylor facts. Anyway his OBJ team is about his son who the odds favour is blessed with baseball genes given the success of his two older brothers.
0 x

cpbl4now

Postby cpbl4now » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Unless the player is on the JNT, is there any point in traveling to Florida for "spring training" over March break? Seems like a long way to go for a handful of exhibition games. Are any scouts really watching when teams from Ontario go down?
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:50 pm

For the older kids 16U and up it's mandatory. Its run like a true spring training plus they play a lot of games with some of the high schools as well as collages, so yes they are playing against teams that may recruit them, happens all the time. They also have a scout day , in front of numerous schools as well as local area scouts. For the younger teams it is not required to attend but they are welcome to attend, if they have enough kids they will organise a few exhibition games with a age appropriate team

Obviously each program is different , but ultimately they are there to put the kids in front of schools. Worse case they get some sun and play some ball
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:54 pm

The OBJ's are only sending 4 teams down to Florida this year. 2 16u teams, 17U and 18U.
According to CBN, they are having their scout day on the Monday. They are the only organization that will actually attract scouts to these events.

Apparently they had close to 15 MLB team representatives at their scout day last week.

Just checked the website and it is online now. Find it funny how they don't post the rosters for their top 4 teams. All the younger teams are posted.
And it looks like they have a new logo... interesting.
0 x

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:00 pm

The 2017 season is just around the corner. Any predictions?
Who will be the top team in the CPBL? Waiting for the OBJs to post the rosters for the 16U teams but they will win..
Will the OBA MEL and BEL be competitive? NO
Will the CABA survive the inaugural season? NO
Will the T12 tryouts be the biggest ever this year? YES
0 x

cpbl4now

Postby cpbl4now » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Who will be the top team in the CPBL? Waiting for the OBJs to post the rosters for the 16U teams but they will win..
OBJ is not a sure thing to win...Mets will be strong this year at 16U as I'm sure GLC will be too.

Will the OBA MEL and BEL be competitive? NO
I don't agree...Teams like Brampton that have indoor facilities are working hard this offseason. Some good players are still in OBA and I'm sure there are some OBA teams that could compete in the CPBL

Will the T12 tryouts be the biggest ever this year? YES
I agree but $140 for a 20 pitch bullpen and then pitchers shag flies for the remainder of the time? Yikes!
1 x

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Some OBA teams can compete in the CPBL?
Wow. Must be a OBA parent.. totally different level of baseball.

Wishful Thinking
0 x

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:51 pm

I've watched games between CPBL 15U and MMEL 18U teams and the CPBL held their own pretty good.
0 x

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:11 am

Jr National team roster announced 11 players from Ontario

CPBL - 10
PBLO - 1

I think this is very telling about where the eyes are looking for talent in these parts, congrats to all the kids who where selected
0 x