Fummerton

Postby Fummerton » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:18 pm

Hi, my son is a 2010 player who is really good for his age. He currently plays up a year in the 7md league in the Lakeshore East loop. He's one of the best players on his team. I'm just wondering what I should be doing to get him further developed or how to get him into some of these elite teams. Our coaching here isn't the greatest had to fight with the association just to allow him to tryout for an older team. Just looking for info on what I should be doing for him or what the next steps should be. Thanks
Last edited by Fummerton on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Re: 2010

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:24 am

What should I do?
0 x

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:00 am

I can help you. But I need to know first. Huggies or Pampers?
0 x

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:21 am

Guest wrote:I can help you. But I need to know first. Huggies or Pampers?

Whoever wrote this comment should grow up. Someone has come to ask a question. You many not think it's a great question, but they did which is why they asked.

As to the question at hand, just get your child lots of practice and on ice time, preferably with older kids if you want them to continue playing up. Sign up for some power skating and other sessions at one of the MANY training centres around. Do your homework and pick one that will keep your child engaged and having fun while working hard at the same time.

Many associations don't like kids playing up and this is a shame. I personally believe this mentality has to change. Hockey is a merit based system and the best kids should make the team regardless of whether or not they are a year younger. They will throw out the argument of "the underage player is taking a spot away from the 'of age' player". Well, if the 'of age' player doesn't want to lose their spot they should work hard and get better.

Unfortunately many of the minor hockey association boards are filled with parents of bubble kids who continue to create, enforce, and make new rules to make sure their child doesn't lose their spot. It's a shame.

Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck with your child and their hockey season.
1 x

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:36 am

Good luck to your kid.
0 x

AAA Hockey

Postby AAA Hockey » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:56 am

Thanks... by no means do I think he's an amazing player or better than everyone else. He plays in a small centre in the OMHA and is really big for his size. Durning any scrimmage games they play he's the only one to score or touch the puck. He will pass to other kids but they just shoot the puck down the ice and he's the first to get it. After he scores a bunch of goals the on ice volunteers/coaches put him in net. This doesn't help anyone out. They don't try to encourage their better player but also coodle the smaller ones. I had to fight and agrue to get him playing up a yr in the 7md and he's one of the top players on his team
0 x

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:34 pm

AAA Hockey wrote:Thanks... by no means do I think he's an amazing player or better than everyone else. He plays in a small centre in the OMHA and is really big for his size. Durning any scrimmage games they play he's the only one to score or touch the puck. He will pass to other kids but they just shoot the puck down the ice and he's the first to get it. After he scores a bunch of goals the on ice volunteers/coaches put him in net. This doesn't help anyone out. They don't try to encourage their better player but also coodle the smaller ones. I had to fight and agrue to get him playing up a yr in the 7md and he's one of the top players on his team

I had the same problem with my child in an OMHA centre. We tried to play up but they wouldn't allow it.

So we left our OMHA centre and are now playing up a year in the NYHL.

The OMHA and their centres need to take a serious look at their policies before their product gets watered down further.
0 x

AAA Hockey

Postby AAA Hockey » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Ya I think most leagues and centres need to overhaul their policies. Look t most of the board exec... how many are under the age of 50 lol. What use to work 20 yrs ago might not work now. Encourage player development. Put skilled players in positions to be challenged more and they will continue to improve. Properly train your goalies. Goalies don't get better from sitting betwen the pipes while half the shots miss the net. You also have to look at each invidual kid as a separate case and evaluate by an each not a whole. No one kid is the same so the same "rule" shouldn't be applied. Times are changing so should the way we develop our kids
1 x

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:03 am

There is always 1 kid who is the best on the team, it's a given. Whether size or skill drives this is irrelevant. Now we have mommy or daddy thinking their 7 year old is the next one. Keep your delusions of grandeur in check. He is big and we all know what happens to the big kids who are outstanding while everyone else is still small.
0 x

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:06 am

Thjis was the giveaway "Durning any scrimmage games they play he's the only one to score or touch the puck" ok, so no other kid touches the puck? C'mon dad, nobody can take you seriously when you make such a buffoon statement. Do you bore the folks at work with how incredible your boy is?
0 x

janeirorob@hotmail

Postby janeirorob@hotmail » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:16 am

I'd love to take a look at your kid on the ice. I have some opening for my team next season at Weston. If you are interested please let me know, janeirorob@hotmail.com all the best,
0 x