Coaching Terms

Coaching Terms

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:19 am

I'm a parent coach of an Atom Major AA team. This is my second year with the team. I love coaching them and our team does well. My son is a middle of the pack player. We're not the best team in the province but the best in our league.

My question is this: How long do you feel I can continue coaching this team? I'd love one more year but don't want to stay too long.

Just looking for honest feedback.
2 x

Re: Coaching Terms

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:59 pm

3rd year of Tier II ASHL
2 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:32 pm

If your doing well and your teaching the kids and treating them well then you owe it to everyone to say as long as you can. Hockey needs more of you. If your a ...... to the kids - leave now.
1 x

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Guest wrote:I'm a parent coach of an Atom Major AA team. This is my second year with the team. I love coaching them and our team does well. My son is a middle of the pack player. We're not the best team in the province but the best in our league.

My question is this: How long do you feel I can continue coaching this team? I'd love one more year but don't want to stay too long.

What are your strengths as a coach. Where are you weak? How do those relate to what players need going from Atom to Peewee?

Different age groups have different needs. The areas that need focus at 9 years old are different from 11 or 15. The way you approach a group of 9 year olds is different than the way you approach them at 11 or 15. Some coaches might run a terrific Minor Midget AAA program but be useless at Minor Atom AAA because they can't provide the program the kids need, and vice versa.

If you feel like your team struggles in practice improving in areas that become more important as they move into the peewee age, it might be a sign that your skills as a coach are best suited to the atom division. And there's nothing wrong with that, but you just might not be the right fit for them entering peewee. I'd go watch your area's Minor Peewee or Peewee AA teams practice, and talk to those coaches. Think about how they approach a practice that's different from you and why they're doing it. That should give you your answer.
3 x

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Personally, I think that 2 yrs coaching the same team is long enough. On 2 occasions I was given the same team for a 3rd year. It was ok, because the majority of the team knew the basics of how I wanted them to play. However, it was initially hard for me to figure out how to change the tactics that we had used over the prior couple of years so that the players could develop new skills and other options that could be used in various game situations. Another coach with a completely different coaching style and strategies would be better for the kids. Also, you may be holding your son back at AA. You may consider him mid-level player, but as a parent coach you are probably harder in your evaluation of him than others. If you don't coach the AA team, he may surprise you in what he is capable of. I sometimes thought that my son became comfortable when I was his coach, but after leaving me, he stepped up his play because he had to in order to prove how good he was to another coach that wasn't his dad.
1 x

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:53 am

I've been reading and follow This website for about s yr now and I can honestly this is the best thread I came across. An honest and open questions looking for quality feedback which was delivered. This is what this is site is meant for. Information sharing not player coach bashing. Nice to see some very reasonable educated coaches/parents use this site to what it's meant to be
1 x

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:15 pm

Guest wrote:I'm a parent coach of an Atom Major AA team. This is my second year with the team. I love coaching them and our team does well. My son is a middle of the pack player. We're not the best team in the province but the best in our league.

Find a better coach. Then leave. Don't leave until you do.
0 x